11/15/2007

Welcome to my bird blog!

Welcome, sit back relax and enjoy!

I wanted to start this blog by giving a brief description about me and why I wanted to start this blog. I have been blogging for about a year now about business stuff and I think it's about time that I start blogging about one of my main passions - birds. More specifically I am a FANATIC when it comes to owls. I will never forget the first time I saw an owl.
I must have been around 8 years old and I was on a small vacation farm that my family owned just outside Rustenburg, South Africa. Don't worry unless you're from that area you would never have heard of the town before. Anyway, I was walking outside at dusk and a Barn owl circled me. I was just standing there and this amazingly silent bird flew right over me twice while I was literally looking into its eyes. People often say that once the birding bug bites you you're hooked and that was definitely the case for me. Since that time I have pursued owls and I have been fortunate enough to see a host of them including in SA: Barn, Grass,Scops, Pearl Spotted, Barred, Wood, Marsh, Cape Eagle & Spotted Eagle; USA: Eastern Screech,Saw Whet, Great Horned, Long Eared, Short Eared and Barred. I was also fortunate enough to rehabilitate a Spotted Eagle owl while I was in boarding school at Treverton (Natal Midlands, South Africa).

I grew up in South Africa and relocated to
America in 1999. I am now based in northwest New Jersey right on the Pennsylvania border.

Ok, so why write a blog? Well I love reading about birds and I am hoping that some people may find my blog fun to read. The other reason is that I have a Screech Owl box in my garden and I am hoping that this blog will be a case of if you build it they will come. This blog is called the owlbox and I am hoping that this year is the big one for my owl box! This will be the 3rd year that my owl box is up and I am hoping that this is the year when a nesting pair moves in. This hope is a little more than hope as I have seen more owl activity this year than in the past. I have also made some improvements and adjustments this year that I think may well pay off.

So that's the intro - buckle your seats here we go!

9 comments:

oldmanlincoln said...

Imagine my surprise in seeing Owl Box. I didn't think anybody knew about an Owl Box. To get acquainted. My real name is Abraham Lincoln.

My Owl Box and the gang who have lived in it, over the years, can be seen on my website.

http://www.oldmanlincoln.com/

Then click on > Squirrel House.

At the bottom of the paragraph are links that show the different occupants, including Screech Owl.

Also, I have a birds blog.

http://mybirdsblog.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your blog.

Owlman said...

Hi Abraham - thansk for dropping in and for the great comments!

Owl boxes seem to be more popular lately. I built the owl box myself but they are for sale everywhere now, even my local pet shop sells them. I just typed “Owl nesting box” into Google’s product search site Froogle and it’s amazing how many different boxes come up. That leads me to wonder how many people actually have boxes up across the U.S.

Nice pictures of your owls! How often have they nested? Was it used by the owls last year? Supposedly Screech Owls are easy to attract. This will be my third year that the box is up and to date I have had European Starlings and Squirrels. The owls have roosted in the box, but no luck with nesting. Adding the flashing should discourage the squirrels and I’ll let the owls take care of the Startlings…

mon@rch said...

welcome to the blog world and looks like an interesting place for sure! I plan on adding you to my RSS feeds!

Elaine said...

Hi, Owlman. I love your blog, and I am hoping to use it as a guide in setting up my own blog - not content, but formatting, layout, etc. Thank you for your "welcome to birding" comment! I've been meandering across your extensive website and just now clicked onto your message link. I was surprised to see that you have not been 'bird blogging' for long because your site is so good. Your birder's I.D. quiz is a wonderful treat.

I haven't gotten very far on my blog; despite programming and working with computer software since 1978, I'll be darned if I can get any of my wikis to work or figure out how to get items to show up on the page where I want them to show up. I ordered the book "Blogging for Dummies" so hopefully that will help, and I have found some help sites online, too. In any case, I hope you will allow me to add your site to mine once I figure out how to do it. LOL

Owlman said...

Thanks for the kind words Elaine - I'd be privileged to be on your blogging list. I'm glad to see that you like my layout and you're more than welcome to use and improve it. My suggestion to you is play with the blogging formatting with no fear. There is nothing that can't be reversed, especially when you first start out. I periodically change stuff as I go, which is fun. The key is to have fun with the process.

KathO said...

I have a gorgeous owl camping out in my Flanders, NJ yard. I think it's a great horned owl. I thought it was a neighbor's cat this morning when letting my dog out, as it was resting on the lawn in a semi upright position. The local crows were very noisy earlier today, trying to persuade it to leave. Not a chance! I am hoping it will make a meal of a snake or chipmunk, as they are my least liked yard critters!

Owlman said...

Hi KathO,

Would you are extremely lucky. A Great Horned will certainly put a dent in your squirrel population nad chipmunks will make a great snack! I would love to see some photos of your owl. Please send them to me at qjoubert AT embarqmail DOT com when you get a chance.

Thanks for stopping by.

Owlman

eileeninmd said...

I am so happy to have found your blog and now I am a follower. I just love owls, they are my favorites. I do hear the Barred Owl and the Great Horned Owl around my house. Once I was lucky to see a juvenile Barred owl, it was so cute.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Incredible photos shared by the Flickr community group - Owls of North America. Click on the play button to begin the slideshow - ENJOY!