12/12/2007

Admitting you're a birder

I read somewhere a couple of weeks back that birding is now starting to overtake hunting and fishing as popular hobbies. I think part of the reason for this is that birding can be done anywhere as long as you have a view of the outside world. It's funny because for some reason many people I have met don't consider themselves birders, yet they watch backyard birds all the time - they even call me on the phone to help them ID the little brown bird with the cute little white neck (any takers on this ID?)

Being a birder is something that becomes an integral part of your life and it is hard to separate that from other activities. I often find myself bird watching as I pack the groceries in the car after a long and arduous shopping trip. I have also been known to swerve a little off the road (honestly just a tad) as I strain my head forward to get a better look at a red tailed hawk zooming over my car. These are all signs that you are in fact a true birder - just admit it! By the way, I read a great post a little while back that listed all the signs that you may be a birder if... Anyone have the link for me?

Have a good one and enjoy the birding!

3 comments:

Patrick Belardo said...

Sounds like a White-throated Sparrow. I'm 100% admitting that I'm a birder. I'm glad it's taking off.

RuthieJ said...

Hey Owlman, I'm taking some sporadic time off from blogging trying to get ready for Christmas, but skipping around the blogosphere to try and keep up with what everyone's got going on. Here's the link you're looking for:

http://susankwilliams.blogspot.com/2007/11/you-might-be-birder.html

from "Susan Gets Native".
(I've been known to swerve off the road just a little for raptors too!)

Owlman said...

Thanks RuthieJ, we'll see you back up and running after all the season's madness...I mean festivities.

Incredible photos shared by the Flickr community group - Owls of North America. Click on the play button to begin the slideshow - ENJOY!