12/10/2007

Christmas lights vs. Owlcam

As you may be able to guess from the title of this post the owlcam lost out to Christmas decorations this weekend. My owlcam arrived late on Saturday at which stage we were ready to head off to our fire department Christmas party. Sunday I felt less than Olympic when I was woken up by my bubbly 3 year old at 6:30. Yes, 6:30 am! As I was getting (rolling/stumbling/rumbling/grumbling) out of bed I heard that my son was also ready to party with dad...ouch. Sadly the day didn't get any better after that. I spent much of the day sitting on my roof clipping xmas lights onto the gutters. Let's just say this activity should NOT be attempted with a hangover. Another strange thing I learnt about xmas lights is that they are part of the Velcro family. I rolled them up and stuck them all in a bag last year and spent the better part of the day untangling them - good times.

I did play with the owlcam and I was amazed at how small it is. I was expecting a small camera, but I was still surprised by the size (or lack) of it. I managed to get it fired up with the 300 feet of cabling and everything worked correctly. The camera is color, but the colors are way off. This is not a major issue for me as the only reason I like the fact that its color is because I will be able to tell whether it is a red or gray Screechie.

I did make a quick trip up to the box to drill a hole to run the cabling out of the box. Sadly the owl box was totally vacant! This makes me a little apprehensive about my chances of attracting an owl. Am I being silly?

Oh, another fun activity that I was involved with on Sunday was doing the final leaf clean up. I dumped most of the leaves around the owl tree. Many of the successful owl box land lords recommend this as it offers some padding for falling owlets. Jees, I really am going above and beyond the call to attract these owls......

2 comments:

me myself and i said...

Good luck with your owl cam. Your blog looks great.

It took me roughly 22 months to have a screech owl move into my owl box. Putting a video cam was a great idea. I had no idea what was going on inside the box until I got the cam hooked up...

Best,
Jim W.

Owlman said...

Thanks for the kind words. I actually started the blog in preparation for a successful season, so I'm surprised that I've already posted well over 20 posts. Yip, once the camera is up it will open a new world and at the very least I will know what's going on. At the moment I put the ladder up periodically and most of the time there is nothing. Even though I'm a volunteer fireman climbing ladders is not at the top of my list of favorite things - especially when said ladder is leaning against a tree.... Having a camera will avoid the ladder issues!