1/16/2008

Irruptive species: Pine Siskin

I had a Pine Siskin at my bird feeder about a month ago and I had no idea what it was. I've never seen them before I asked Patrick from The Hawk Owl's Nest for help. He helped me ID it as a Pine Siskin. The Siskin spent a week or so at the feeder and then dissapeared - sounds like my Screech Owl ;-)

I just read the Stokes birding blog and they say that this is a good year for irruptive species such as:


Pine Siskin
Common Redpoll
Pine Grosbeak
Evening Grosbeak
Red Crossbill
White-winged Crossbill


The only one of these that I've had at my feeder is the Siskin, although I'd love to the rest of them. Have you had any of these guys at your feeders?

If these irruptive species are moving south because of a lack of food up north wouldn't the raptors follow? Does this mean that we may get some Hawk Owls and the like moving south?

3 comments:

RuthieJ said...

I had Pine Siskins earlier in the fall, but haven't seen them since the middle of December. I do still have two red-breasted nuthatches as regular visitors too. I keep watching for common redpolls, but none seen yet. (I'm in southeastern Minnesota.)

Island Rambles Blog said...

We do have the Pine Siskins around here but I have not seen one...we had a Tropical Kingbird here and we get Western Tanagers also. We are getting some unusual birds perhaps due to climate changes??

Susan Gets Native said...

We had siskins here for a few days and one RBNU for a single day. I'm not holding my breath for redpolls or any of the others....an evening grosbeak would make me faint.
As far as raptors...saw whet owls are making a big appearance here and in southern Indiana. And short eared owls are here....and lots of harriers....and a rough legged hawk...