1/13/2008

Simply scintillating Sunday




This morning I woke up to major bird activity in the garden. I had a pair of Flickers, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy, Red Bellied), Juncos ......... It's amazing to me how some mornings these are zillions of birds in the garden and other days there's nothing. Do the birds know that snow is on the way? I had the first female Purple Finch at the feeders this morning and I'm hoping to have a few more. Another weird thing that I've noticed is that sometimes I have a new bird at the feeders for a couple of days and then it buggers off. Case in point is a Pine Siskin that spent two days at my feeders in November and then disappeared.

At about 11 o’clock I looked out and saw a Rough Legged Hawk sitting a 100 yards from the kitchen window. I have been chasing the Hawk around my garden and farm land behind my property for the past 6 weeks, but I haven't been able to snap a pic of him. This time I managed to snap a few pics although I didn’t get anything of him in flight.

A couple of minutes ago my mother in law looked out the kitchen window and spotted my Red Fox running along our fence line. The Red Fox has a den about 500 yards from my fence line in the farm land. This is the first time I've seen the Fox during the day. I snapped a few pics, but the memory card was still in my laptop. I popped the memory card in to download the hawk pictures and forgot to stick it back into the camera - cue Bart Simpson DOPE!

What an amazing Sunday: The Packers annihilate the Seahawks, I spot a new garden bird and I take some decent pics of a Rough Legged Hawk – not a bad morning!

2 comments:

Meggie said...

Go Packers! For the next few weeks, just call me a cheese head.

Owlman said...

Cheese Head!

I hope I can still call you that on Superbowl Sunday.