2/15/2008

Birding on the bolt

Birding on the bolt often offers some unique birding opportunities. If you keep an open mind and scan around while driving, you’ll be amazed what you can run into (pardon the pun). This week was particular great for bolt birding. While running to Fedex I spotted a rare (for this particular area) Bald Eagle hunting along the North Branch of the Raritan River. I also spotted an American Kestrel, as well as a Northern Harrier. The Harrier flew over my car this afternoon and then proceeded to hunt in a large farm field. This is the first Northern Harrier that I’ve seen in this area and the good thing was that I managed to stop to check it out. The bad thing is that I am using some super small binoculars that someone gave me. They are nice in that they fit in the door of my car, but they aren’t great for bird watching as their focal view is very small so it’s hard to find the bird. I guess I’m also very used to my monster 10x50 Pentax binocs.

Most birders prefer something more compact and light, but I opted for this monster as it gives me super doper magnification and superb low light viewing. I’ve used them for owl spotting (Short Eared) and the results were amazing. I was able to track the owls well after some of the birders with scopes threw in the towel. I’ve also used them for viewing Red Fox with similar results. I am probably in a tiny minority when it comes to my choice in binoculars…

1 comment:

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

Good lesson in Zen attention. I highlighted your post at http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.com/the_zen_birdfeeder/2008/03/zen-nature-less.html