2/26/2008

Owlman vs. QJ?

When I started this blog I did it on a whim. I actually started it as a way to get practice before my owls started nesting in the owl box. As it turns out I haven't had an owl sighting since Mid November, so this blog may be about everything other than nesting owls. My question of the day is what do you think about my use of a pseudonym and a photo shopped picture. You can be honest. Do you think it detracts from the blog by making me look like a crazy person with an owl face or is it slightly amusing (what I was going for)? Last night my wife checked out the blog and started laughing hysterically - owlman, OOOWWLMAN, hoot hoot etc. She meant it in jest and I took it as such, but at the same time I don't want birders to be turned off by my own wackiness. What do think? Be honest I can handle it.

7 comments:

Lynne said...

Lots of people use a pseudomyn but it's nice to know the name behind it. It feels like more of a connection. I puzzled over your picture for a while, but I think it's funny. Maybe it's time to cough up a real photo...

Patrick Belardo said...

I think the graphic is hilarious personally. I don't care when someone uses a pseudonym vs. their actual name. Take Nuthatch for example. She has an amazing blog and keeps her ID more or less hidden.

mon@rch said...

At first I was like ?? But now I know exactly who you are when I see you graphic! I think its cool!

Jochen said...

I don't know who you are but think Owlman is an "ordinary" bird blog pseudonym and your photoshop face looks a bit strange (as if you were wearing a mask) but is fine, too.
But then again, this is the opinion of someone who calls himself "Belltower Birder"...

Mel said...

I think the content of the blog speaks better of the blogger than a picture or a pseudonym.
Your posts are great, so don't worry about anything else. If people decide not to read you because of a profile instead of the contents of your posts, they don't deserve your writing.
Blogging is suppouse to be fun, to help us share, learn, study, teach, and meet people with similar interests, so, ENJOY it!
Cheer up, Owlman!
Greetings from Peru :)

Owlman said...

Thanks for chiming in all. I think I'll keep the profile picture and the owlam tag, although I might add some 'real' pictures of myself over time. I think the picture and the name convey the fun that I'm having with the blog.

RuthieJ said...

.....as long as you keep the Packers hat, I say whatever you choose is OK (but I do agree with Lynne, it's always nice to see the real face behind the pseudonym!)