2/21/2008

Platform feeding

An obvious, but sometimes overlooked aspect of attracting birds to your feeders is variety. This means not only a variety of food sources, but also a variety of feeders. I have most of the essentials, but I was desperately missing a platform feeder. When we moved into the house I was reluctant to take the washing line posts down as I had an idea to use them for my bird feeders. Over time I have screwed feeders onto the washing line tops, but I really wanted to do some more permanent and effective. Unfortunately I haven't had either the time, energy or materials to do it..until now.

Last weekend I made a nice 2 foot platform with some of the left over 2x4's from my basement project. Initially the birds were avoiding it like the plague, but they pretty quickly came to realize that this is now bird heaven central. I'm getting a major kick out the fact that my purple finch male (a new garden bird for me) is spending a lot of time on the new platform feeder. I am hoping to use the platform to attract some Orioles in the spring. I've had them in my garden but haven't had much luck attracting them to oranges. There is stil lsome cleanup to do with the new platform to make it look a little more estehtically pleasing, but that will be sone in spring.

2 comments:

Patrick Belardo said...

I wish I had a squirrel-proof place to put one!

Owlman said...

My squirrel security is taken care of by my dog. She LOVES chasing the squirrels and this definitely keeps them away from the feeders. The deer clean out any food on the ground and drink the water in the bird bath...