2/14/2008

What's your ultimate birding toy - Canon400mm lens?

One of the posts I read today made me think about my ultimate birding toy. Actually it wasn't hard to come up with. Since I've started admiring birds, I've always wanted a top end 'birding' lens. At the top of my list at the moment would be the Canon 400mm F2.8 USM IS. This bad boy allows you to take pictures at low light and it takes crystal clear pics. If you feel adventurous you could throw on a 1.4 or 2x converter which will further extend the lens' range. Of course, if I had to I would take a cheaper 300mm such as the Canon 300mm F2.8 or even the F4.0. All jokes aside both of these are tremendous lenses! At the moment I have a Canon 75-300mm F4.5 USM IS and it does a fair job. Unfortunately it is pretty slow to focus and it's not ideal for low light situations.


I keep thinking that one day when I'm big I'll be able to buy one of these beauties! How much bigger do I need to get though? I’m already 6.1 and 210lbs…

What’s your ultimate birding toy? Maybe you’d like a spotting scope, Leico binoculars (I wouldn’t mind a pair of these either), new digital camera…..

3 comments:

Island Rambles Blog said...

I just got the Canon 100 - 400 IS lens and it is fantastic and I can use the extenders on it. It is just a beauty. Your a big boy now, so go and get it!!!

Owlman said...

I think you're right! I'm trying to convince my lovely wife that this is the right thing to do ;-)

mon@rch said...

Ultimate for someone with cannon and I am a Nikon guy! But there has to be one of these toys for us Nikon users!