3/31/2008

Pheasant football a.k.a soccer

The Ring-necked Pheasant is still around and in fact he’s becoming pretty tame. He used to hang out at the back of the property but now he’s a regular at the feeder.





In fact he’s so tame that I thought he might start playing soccer with the kids.



I love hanging him around but I do worry about the dog chasing him. For the most part he just runs away and he seems very lazy to fly. One of my friends is convinced that he’s a pen raised bird. Apparently hunters hand raise some pheasants and then release them for hunting. Has anyone heard of this practice? This guy definitely is not the most street wise bird I’ve ever seen and judging from his tail feathers he’s had some run in’s with thugs…

5 comments:

mon@rch said...

Hey, if he is becoming that tame . . . Soccer might be a good sport for this guy! :)

Jochen said...

It is common and perverded practise in Germany to release hand raised pheasants just before a big hunt to give your guests some entertainment. These birds are so - sorry - dumb that you can catch them with bare hands and quite a few get killed by the hunting dogs (I guess because these birds just don't know they can actually fly), not the hunters.

Hannibal said...

Common practice around here is: the state of Illinois raises pheasants, sets them free around state parks 3 days before hunting season, the disoriented birds walk around in a fog, and the hunters get to pick them off like fish in a barrel. I hate pheasant season, its extremely unfair...

Owlman said...

Based on your feedback I would say that this bird is pen raised. He does seem very disorientated and very lacks to fly. I guess only time will tell what happens to him. The first day I saw two male pheasants although I haven't seen the other one again. I suspect that it fell into the fox den at the back of the property...

Mel said...

Is that the next Pelé??? ;)