3/21/2008

What the birds see

Inspired by Patrick at the Hawk owl nest, I checked out my garden using Live Search Maps' Bird's Eye view. It's interesting looking at your property the way a bird would see it from the sky. Based on this picture I think I need to put some more berry bushes, especially along the right hand side of my property. This will provide both cover and food for the birds. I also need to add some more cover in the 'wilderness' area possibly with a few cedars, some evergreen shrubs etc.


On a side (paranoid) note – I noticed that one of the pictures had what looked like a person on the back lawn. Could that be me? Are ‘they spying on me? I’d love to see what the high res picture look like…… Is that a nude sunbather at the pool next door?? Just kidding!


10 comments:

mon@rch said...

It is great planning your garden around what the birds are able to see! Now if only you could find the owls with this site!!

SAPhotographs said...

A lovely site Owlman. Owls are so beautiful but I am sure your miss those from SA like the Eagle Owl!!

Owlman said...

I definitely miss the SA owls. Funny enough one of the owls I miss a lot is the Barn owl. They seem to be pretty uncommon in the States although I'm not 100% sure why. I'm thinking about building and putting up a Barn Owl box at some stage, although it seems unlikely that it will be used - even though the area seems ideal to me......

I'm hoping to see Pel's fishing owl in SA when I go back in '09.

Mel said...

Interesting garden planning.. Let us know if you do it, would be cool to see the before and after pics!

dguzman said...

What a cool site! I am downloading the 3D Earth program as I type. I can't wait to see what my area looks like from the air! Now I don't have to invent that rocket-pack I've been designing....

dguzman said...

Well, check that: the Bird's Eye view option isn't available for my neck of the woods. I guess I haven't done anything worthy of attracting the spy satellites (yet). If they only knew....

Owlman said...

If only......

SAPhotographs said...

I like the Barn owl too but the Giant Eagle owl and the tiny Pearl spotted are my favourites. I have a lovely picture of a Barn owl which I will post after I have done my story of the trip to Kruger.

Amy said...

Okay, Okay, I admit it. That was ME on your lawn! I'm so busted!

Owlman said...

I thought that was you Amy, but I didn't want to say anything. I thought I told you to mow the lawn, NOT suntan!

Incredible photos shared by the Flickr community group - Owls of North America. Click on the play button to begin the slideshow - ENJOY!