4/04/2008

Keeping up with the blogs

There are so many ways to read blogs using RSS readers, iGoogle, Outlook etc etc. and it's pretty tough to keep up with all the blogs around the world. One good place to start, is a blog network like the Nature Blog Network which currently lists close to 250 blogs! When I joined the network, there were a lot less than that and I was also ranked a lot higher........ Another awesome place to find blogs to add to your RSS feeds or readers is the Powerguides. The Powerguides tracks a myriad of different blogging topics (Artists, Auto, Fashion Clothes, Food & Cooking, Bird Watching, Environment, Farming, Fishing, Gardening, Horses, Teaching & Education and Multiple Sclerosis). Each of these guides in turn list the most recent 10 posts. If added the Powerguides birding guide to my blog as well as to my iGoogle page and I've found some very cool blogs along the way. Of course as I find new ones, I also add them to my iGoogle page which is becoming larger and larger. The nice thing about the Powerguides is that it allows you to scan topics from blogs you may not subscribe to. If you want to add the Powerguides to your blog there is a form that you can complete and they'll send you the HTML code to paste into your blog. The neat thing is that the feed is customizable based on the color scheme that you use.

My main inspiration for this post is the fact that I found a new South African blog (Birding Limpopo) while skimming through the recent top 10. Ironically the only reason I visited the blog was because the title was Owl box! I guess my countryman is trying to attract a Spotted Eagle Owl to his garden and in the process of putting up the box he managed to get himself stung by some hornets.......
How do you read blogs and what tricks do you have to find new ones?

5 comments:

Lynne said...

I use the iGoogle feed loving that it lists new posts so I don't have to go and check. I find new bloggers mostly through the comments they leave on the posts that I read. Sometimes a blog name will catch my eye on someone's side bar too.

your word verification is hheevil !

Owlman said...

> Lynne hheevil? Hmm that's a new American word for me ;-) I think the word verification is a major pain in the ass (MPIMA). I actually use MPIMA a lot and people probably think it's some sort of African word - lol. I often have to take 2 shots at leaving a comment when sites use word verification... I guess my eye sight is going the same way as my hair - SOUTH. At least word verification keeps the spammers away - for the most part, although spammers are like squirrels, VERY crafty. Have a great weekend and do lots of birding! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it.

Barb said...

Thanks Owlman for letting me know about Powerguides, it is a good site that I didn't know about.

Owlman said...

Correction: MPIMA = Major pain in my ass.

No problemo Barb, I like sharing the wealth and trying to get as amany people connected as possible. Thanks for stopping by and commenting it is MUCH appreciated!

John said...

I find new blogs mostly by links (within posts) on blogs I already read and by participating in blog carnivals. I also find some through comments left on my own blog or via email.