4/18/2008

Red shouldered hawks

This morning I was on my way to Home Depot to pick up more spackle for the basement (UGH!) and I saw a medium sized hawk flapping across to the left of me. It was about the size of a Red Tailed maybe a tad smaller and something about it looked off i.e. it wasn't a Red Tailed. I thought about letting it go and then decided to make a quick emergency stop to check it out. I took my crappy car bins out and tried to get the hawk in focus while it was still flip flapping across Route 31. I finally got it in focus with my Tasco 10X25's (TERRIBLE for birding) and I could clearly see it was a Red Shouldered Hawk. I watched it for a good 5 minutes as it got up to gliding height checking for prey in an open field in front of me. I was very impressed with myself as I jumped back into the car.

A couple of miles south on Route 31 I spotted 3 Turkey Vultures with several Buteos circling with them. I decided to make another emergency stop (my apologies to the gentleman who was tailgating me) to check these guys out, figuring they were most likely Red Tailed’s. Well to my utter surprise they turned out to all be Red Shouldered Hawks. This is the first time I've seen a knot of Red Shouldered Hawks like this. Yip, a bunch of hawks is called a knot, a boil, a spiraling, a stream or a tower of hawks according to Whatbird.com - so I'm not making this up, I promise.

So that was the start to my day, not too shabby hey?
No pictures from today's sighting as I don't have camera equipment with me in the car but I will point you to this site for nice pics of both hawks in flight.

1 comment:

Owlman said...

Turns out the Red shouldered's were in fact Broad wings! It helps when spend time looking at ALL the birds and you use several bird books.....

Incredible photos shared by the Flickr community group - Owls of North America. Click on the play button to begin the slideshow - ENJOY!