4/21/2008

Sandy Hook Birding with Patrick Belardo

I met my first cyber birding buddy on Sunday when I went on a birding trip with Patrick Belardo from The Hawk Owl's Nest. Patrick was leading a beginners birding trip at Sandy Hook and he asked if I wanted to tag along for the morning. I promised to be well behaved and for the most part I was..... at least there were no complaints that I am aware of. As usual I was sporting my Green Bay Packers cap so it was easy for Patrick to ID me. For those of you wondering, I wasn't wearing my owl mask ;-)

The highlight of the trip for many of us did involve an owl when Patrick managed to mimic a Barred owl and one called back. I joked that Patrick had a mate somewhere in the marsh calling back although the owl sounded pretty real. Below I a pic of Patrick giving more details about the Barred Owl.



The trip was a roaring success and we ended up 47 species including Osprey, Common Loon, Glossy Ibis, American Oystercatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown Thrasher, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Brown Creeper, Blue-headed Vireo, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Eastern Towhee. For Patrick’s trip report click here. Also check out Kevin Duffy’s great photos. Below are some photos of Osprey I took on the way out.






Although the weather was gray and chilly in the morning it was still an awesome birding trip and hopefully I'll be able to make anohter couple of trips with Patrick. For those of you who haven't been to Sandy Hook make sure to check it out!

10 comments:

Patrick Belardo said...

It was fun having you along. I look forward to birding together again. I can now tell everyone that I've met one of the world's only South African Packers fans.

Owlman said...

Very true Patrick. A South African Packers' fan is definitely a rarity on your life list!

Thanks again for letting me hang out with your group on Sunday. Based on the level of interaction, I would have to say that you hooked a few 'newbies' to the sport of birding. BTW, I'm extremely excited because my brother in law just bought his first bird book, so we've added a new birder to our ranks.

Mary said...

Hi Owlman!

Thanks for your nice comment. I hear a lot about Sandy Hook from Laura at Somewhere in NJ. Perhaps you have met her or seen here there?

You do have oodles of the little Chippys! I've on seen two or three at a time at my house. They do seem to enjoy that feeder. I know someone who saves the hair from her haircuts for their nests :o)

Mary

dguzman said...

Patrick's great to go birding with; he knows how to find the birds, and he's great at describing to you just where they are in the trees, etc., which is a great skill!

Eve said...

Sounds like a great trip owlman!! I looking forward to our birding trips as well. I got my towhees and brown thrashers now! Everyday is another arrival! Still waiting on the barn swallows.
It's been really warm here, I could have sworn I heard a clay-colored sparrow but they shouldn't be here for a couple weeks. I'll keep my ears open!!!

Owlman said...

Thanks for stopping in all. I actually counted 21 Chippies at the feeder yesterday - wow! Mary, I actually offer my dog and cat hair to the birds. Yesterday I watched a Chickadee pick up some hair and fly off to one of my nesting boxes - very cool. I have very little hair to offer so I leave it to my pets ;-)

Dguzman - Patrick is very knowledgeable and a nice guy to boot!

Eve - clay colored sparrow sounds very exciting! I haven't had Brown Thrasher in the garden although I would expect to get them around here....

Amy - "Twelve Acres" said...

I love the Osprey photos! What wonderful birds. We had a bald eagle soar over our field yesterday afternoon. My son said "Look!" and there he went zooming across the field. He landed in the neighbors' woods to roost for the night. How cool is that?

Owlman said...

Amy> I'm still looking for my Bald Eagle fly over to add him to my list of garden birds. I've had Osprey fly over, but no Bald eagle. I've seen them in the area and I am forever scanning the sky to spot one. Sounds like your eagle was VERY close which is awesome!

mon@rch said...

Hey Patrick . . . good seeing ya!

Mel said...

I wish I was closer to go birding with all of you :(
If I ever win the lottery I'll invite all the cool blogging birders to a birding trip here, in beautiful Peru ;)