5/06/2008

New Garden Bird: Indigo Bunting

I was shocked to see a little Indigo Bunting sitting on my new ground platform feeder when I got home a couple of minutes ago. In fact I was so excited that I snapped a picture with my autofocus set to off....hmm, I guess there's a reason for that little switch.
I did manage to snap some quick pics of him before he bolted off. I hope this guy is here to stay. Wow, lotsa nice new garden birds this summer. I think this takes my garden list to somewhere near the 70's. My ultimate goal is 150, which is a long way to go.






7 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh, my!!! An exciting yard bird!!

Eve said...

I had one show up once in my backyard..the picture I took was only slightly better than your first!! hahaha! But I was able to count it on my May Count last year. That put birds on my property or flying through at 60 last May.
Good luck with your list!!!

dguzman said...

Wow, congrats! That's some yard bird!

RuthieJ said...

Isn't it amazing to see a bird with that brilliant blue color? Congrats on having one in your very own backyard!

Owlman said...

I'm excited to say that the little Indigo is still hanging around. The Grosbeaks seemed to have moved on with it a little disappointing. If push came to shove I think I'd take the indigo over the grosbeak, although both would be nice ;-)

Every time I see the little indigo my heart almost stops...wow what a COOL bird!

Craig C Clarke said...

Had an indigo bunting just once at my feeder. The sun was bright so he looked almost fluorescent. I couldn't believe my eyes, because I was unaware of these beautiful birds' existence prior to that.

Owlman said...

Welcome to my blog Craig and thanks for leaving me a message. I really haven't seen this guy in bright light. He's been here today but it is raining cats and dogs, which is awesome for the new plants I stuck in yesterday...but the gray skies aren't doing much for my mood! The great news is that today is Friday and the weekend lies ahead of us. Have a great one and I hope to see you back soon.