5/16/2008

Who's in your nest box: Chickadee

One of the most common birds that will use nesting boxes is the Chickadees. From my research it appears that the Black Capped Chickadees is more likely to use a nesting box as opposed to the smaller Carolina Chickadee. I have both of these characters in my garden and I have been fortunate to attract a Black Capped to a nesting box I placed under some pretty large pines. Last year I had a Chickadee build a nest but a critter killed one of them. This year I put a homemade squirrel guard on the box entrance and that seems to have done the trick.

Generally they have 5-10 eggs and at last count my box had 9 eggs. I snapped this pic really quickly and I didn't bother checking to see if the count had gone above 9 - the way I see it these little guys are going to be VERY busy this spring. I have 2 kids and I couldn't imagine having to look after another 7 of them..... BTW, as you can see the eggs are pretty small, white with brown speckles.

The lady of the house was waiting eagerly to return to brooding so I quickly closed up the box and moved off.
Within a minute she was at the entrance and she popped right back in.

For detailed info about these amazingly cute bundles of joy check out Whatbird.com

8 comments:

Eve said...

Wow Owlman! I have never seen a chickadee nest! I've never even seen them look in one of my boxes! Thanks for sharing that, keep us posted on the kids!

Shellmo said...

Great idea on the squirrel guard - we just put one up on our nestboxes to protect our chickadee friends.

dguzman said...

Wow! Great pics!

We have chickadees nesting in our pines, but I've never been able to see just where. I read in my field guide to nests/eggs that they usually use nesting cavities, but I never knew they used boxes too! Congrats!

mon@rch said...

I always love when chickadees are using the next boxes! The babies are the cutest!

RuthieJ said...

Congratulations! I have had chickadees nest a couple times in my yard and there's nothing cuter than a chickadee baby!

Amy said...

Oh how precious! Lucky you!

Owlman said...

Hi all,

Thanks for stopping in and commenting. I checked the box today and I was hoping to see little babies in there. Unfortunately it seems that someone got into the box and wiped the eggs out. I am a little baffled because the box should be squirrel and raccoon proof.... I'm very sad and disappointed!

Thanks again for stopping in.

Eve said...

So sorry to hear Owlman...sometimes it's hard loving our critters so much!!