6/20/2008

Wren feeder cleaner - anyone want one?

As part of my general bird feeding strategy I recommended keeping your feeders clean. Well I never expected what I found today. As you may recall, I had a very determined House Wren that was trying to annex one of my bird feeders. Instead of evicting him and leaving him homeless, I brought in some new accommodation. I found one of those funky houses that people give you for Christmas down in the basement and I moved it next to the feeder. Yip, I’m a nice guy. So now the Wren can live in the fire house next to the crack feeder - perfect!



Look at this neighborhood - Wren perfection achieved!


All was well and the Wren moved all the sticks that I threw on the grass into its new digs. Bingo, problem solved. Not soo quick there Mr. Flash. This morning I look out and I see that the Wren is actively enforcing my Crack in Moderation (CIM) policy by chasing any birds that try to get to the Zick dough in the peanut feeder. Although I realize that Nancy Reagan isn’t happy about CIM, I know my House Wren will keep any over indulging woodpeckers away from the feeders. I smile and think how well everything is falling into place at the Owlbox estate…[cue scary music here] BUT suddenly I see the House Wren disappear through the FEEDING hole in the BIRD FEEDER, reappearing with some BIRD FOOD. I then see my CIM enforcing officer return for several trips, each time coming back with a beak full of bird food. Needless to say, I’m NOT happy.


CIM officer cleaning MY feeder

3 comments:

Lynne said...

LOL! This is a very clever post Owlman. MAde me laugh.

Owlman said...

Thanks Lynne, it was fun writing it! These Wrens are giving me lots of material these days....

dguzman said...

Oh dear. Well, perhaps a Zero Tolerance Policy is the only way to go?