10/13/2008

Awesome garden birding

This weekend brought some great birding to my garden. On Saturday I was working on making it tougher for the squirrels to get into the owl box. I added some extra flashing around the tree and I am also thinking about adding a bigger 'flashed roof' to make it harder for the squirrels to enter the box by jumping onto the roof from the top. Anyway, as I was finishing up I saw a little blue bird jumping around in the trees. I looked a little closer and I realized that it was a blue warbler. I knew I’d seen him in my bird book but I wasn’t 100% sure what he was. I watched him for another 5 minutes and then I took off to the house to get my bins. Upon returning the little bugger was gone! After flipping through my bird book I ID’ed the new Warbler as a Black Throated Blue Warbler – awesome a new lifer and garden bird for me! Determined to see him again I looked around on Sunday. Although I didn’t see him again, I did see a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker – a new garden bird for me. I've always been surprised that I haven't seen a Sapsucker in my garden and I'm glad the dry spell has been broken. I also saw some Golden Crowned Kinglets zipping around in the garden. Kinglets and Sapsuckers are both winter visitors to my garden and the cool weather shouldn't be too far off...

No comments: