10/15/2008

A Kinglet morning

If you haven't had an opportunity to watch Kinglets they are amazing. They are little birds that move around like they're on speed. This morning I took the ultimate photography challenge trying to get some half decent photos of these little guys. Although I missed a couple of decent shots while my lens was focusing I’m relatively happy with the results. I also took some shots of Yellow Rumped Warbler with also came out ok, I’ll post those in a bit. The photos I’m attaching are all Ruby Crowned Kinglets (I think) although it can be pretty tough to tell them apart from Golden Crowned Kinglets. This site outlines some of the major differences.

I was hoping to get a picture of a Ruby Crowned with its crown up, but alas no dice. I briefly saw a crown up while the lens was focusing, while the Kinglet zoomed off……damn! By the way, my next post will be number 250!!






7 comments:

Lynne said...

These are fabulous! Try pishing while they're around. I've gotten them to pop their crowns up by pishing.
Congrats on 250!

Larry said...

Kinglets are not easy.-They can be right in frot of you and then move before you push the shutter button.-Great job!Pictures are nice and sharp with good lighting.

noflickster said...

Wow! Beautiful shots of a very tricky bird - some of my worst shots are Golden-crowned Kinglets, and I've barely attempted Ruby-crowned. Nicely done!
-Mike

RuthieJ said...

Those are great pictures of the RC Kinglets! I've been having a blast watching them from my deerstand too. Yesterday one flew up right in front of me and caught an insect, then landed on the branch 5 feet away while it swallowed. They are so darn cute!

Owlman said...

Hey Lynne, my pishing technique sux! I've had very limited success in the cold of winter, but the rest of the time the bird ignore me... I'm not sure where my pishing weakness lies - any ideas? ;-)

Larry I couldn't agree more. What made it a little easier was that they were munching on the berries so they ignored me and they kinda stayed in the same area....

Noflickster, I've seen your photos and none of them are bad. Where are these supposed worst shots? Having said that it is comforting that you also take bad photos ;-)

RuthieJ, how's the hunting going? Hunting is a major deal around here and I'd like to go out one year. I bet you must see amazing birds while in the deer stand. I'd probably be bird watching and missing all the 6 pointers - lol.

Susan Gets Native said...

Since it's nearly impossible to take a good picture of a kinglet, I'd say those are just about perfect!

Owlman said...

I couldn't agree with you more Susan. Even my obsessive quest for perfection allows me some respite when it comes to Kinglets....still I want the red and golden cap in a few photos – lol. Having said that, I’ll trade a kinglet for an owl any day – something that happened this last Sunday.