10/06/2008

Snakes: Three of em

Fall has traditionally been a great time of the year for me to spot snakes in the garden. The last two Falls I’ve saved Corn Snakes from my deer netting. This year I’ve been keeping a look out for them, even though I’ve lifted the deer netting a couple of inches off the ground. On Saturday I was looking around and I found three Garter Snakes curled up next to the front stairs.


I LOVE seeing snakes in the garden and I’ve actually brought in some rocks to assist them with hibernation spots. Several of the new rocks have holes underneath them with strategically placed entrances.


What you looking at punk?

What I don’t really understand is what these guys are eating. I haven’t really seen many potential food sources (frogs, toads, lizards) other than mice – which would be WAY too big for these guys. Oh well, I’m happy to have the snakes around!

4 comments:

firephish said...

Great pics, well spotted!

My understandig is that garter snakes maily eat slugs and earthworms.

Man i miss not having snakes around :(

Owlman said...

Ah, that would make sense - I have a lot of slugs and earthworms around! I hope to see the Corn snake this year and maybe he'll use one of my hibernation spots.

Thanks for popping in Firephish, always appreciated.

dguzman said...

I really want to like snakes but they just kinda creep me out.

Owlman said...

Hey there,

I got used to snakes when I was in boarding school (Treverton) in SA. We used to catch snakes and keep them for a couple of weeks and then release them. We used to catch HIGHLY venomous snakes including cobras and adders..... I often wonder whether the kids that are at Treverton now are allowed to catch these snakes. We seem to baby our little babies way too much- in my opinion.

Anyway, I got used to handling snakes and seeing these AMAZINGLY beautiful creatures up close was incredible!

Thanks for popping in and commenting - much appreciated!