11/14/2008

Do me a favor and just go away

The media is constantly looking for a story. What do you do if no story exists? You still have to publish or talk about something, so what are you going to do? Hey, let’s just invent a story. Let’s warp what’s left of the truth and make a story out of it. The entire media spectrum is guilty of this to some degree, but sports’ reporting seems to be pretty high up on the list. This season Brett Favre has been the target for much of the speculation and story invention. The guy has one bad game with a couple of underthrown passes and suddenly his arm is washed up. I read news ‘reports’ saying that Favre can’t throw his long bombs anymore because his arm is so sore. This story stemmed from him saying that his arm was a little fatigued the first few weeks with the Jets. DAH, the guy missed practice camp and he was getting used to throwing in an NFL environment again. The funny thing was that Favre threw a zillion passes (including big bombs) in his next game….so much for the washed up arm.

I then saw Terry Bradshaw on Jimmy Kimmel the other night and he flatly said that Favre had come back to the NFL to spite the Packers. REALLY? Anyone who watched the game last night and the performance of Brett Favre must be smoking their sox if they think that this guy is fueled by spite. When asked after the game if this game represented his reason for coming back Favre said ‘Absolutely!’ The guy loves football. Was he annoyed at the fact that the Packers didn’t want him back after sooooo many years and consecutive starts – hell yes, wouldn’t you be? He didn’t come out of retirement to be spiteful, he came back to play football. The fact that he went to the Jets, a traditionally WEAK team shows that he wasn’t interested in revenge. If he wanted to, he could have held out and the Packers would have eventually let him go. There is no way the Packers were going to let Favre stand on the sidelines and pay him the million of dollars they owed him. Also, can you think what a distraction this would have been for the team – no way that happens. He could very easily have held out and the Packers would have released him at the beginning of the season. In that case, he may well have been heading to a conference rival such as the Vikings (men in purple) or the Bears.

Showeee, ok so I vented. I doubt anyone is still there, but I least I got it off my chest. It really bugs me when the media makes up stories about people who just love what they do. If you watch a Favre game, you’ll clearly see that the guy loves football and he has an immense passion and sense of fun for the game. Yes I know, the media often talks about this and people get sick of it. The fact is, he is a big kid that loves throwing the pig skin around. It may not sell papers or spike up the rating for your Fox show, but it’s the truth. Do us all a favor, if there isn’t a story don’t try and make one up – please!

7 comments:

Barbara said...

What a game, indeed! OMG, it just doesnt get better than that!!!

GREAT blog post, Owlman. Funny, you had to come from S. Africa to inject such rational thought on so many American football fans?!!!!! Well, that's exactly how I see it. KUDOS!!!

My family still lives in WI and my Uncle was one of Pete Rozelle's right hand men in the NFL. Just before my Uncle died we heard all about Brett Favre from his perspective. Brett was just starting out then but I remember hearing my unlce say how he was impressed with his passion and deep love of the game. His words certainly turned out to be accurate.

I could not have been happier for Brett on Thursday. He plays from his heart and soul and for Brett, that IS the bottom line.

Richard said...

Think you got it about right. He just loves the game.

Barbara said...

GB just KILLED Chicago!!! So happy for the Packers! Buh-bye Bears! :)

Terry Bradshaw redeemed himself....before the game on FOX he gave a little speech about Brett and the Pack, etc. He said if Brett was with the Pack they would be 7-2 or 8-1. On that, I agree!

Rogers did good today, though, so I was happy for him. But he's still no Favre. :D

Owlman said...

Being a displaced fan and not having the NFL ticket I couldn’t watch the Packers game live. I saw the highlights and it looks like the Pack are starting to get their act in gear. Its nice to see the running game with Grant coming back together. Aaron is playing efficiently and I am very happy for him. I have nothing against the guy and I think he’ll have a superb NFL career, I just think it was short sighted of the Packers to run Favre out of town as they did.

I missed Bradshaw’s comments on Favre and I have to agree with him. If the Packers had an experienced quarterback like Favre at the helm this year, they would have had a much improved record. As it stands the Pack now lead their division with a record of 5-5, wow. Even with their up and down season the Pack still look like they may be heading to the playoffs. If they keep their running game going, they may well surprise a few teams – let’s hope! At the very least I get to pick on my Bears this weekend – 37-3…it’s gonna be a long weekend for him.

Thanks for popping in Barbara and Richard.

Kathiesbirds said...

Well, I am not a sports fan but my husband is and I do know what you are talking about. The media does this with everything and is often making mountains out of molehills. When watching the evening news they will frequently report that some politician threw a fit in Congress. I watch to see some volcanic eprution only to have them show the clip and the aforementioned politician simply said they didn't agree with this or that. No raised voices, no tirade. Just an invented story by the media to "hook" us in!

dguzman said...

There's no such thing as "journalistic integrity" anymore, Owlman! Didn't you know? Get with the times!

/sarcasm

Owlman said...

What annoys me is that the build a person up and then tear them down at the slightest indiscretion which would be normal for us regular schlubs....

Incredible photos shared by the Flickr community group - Owls of North America. Click on the play button to begin the slideshow - ENJOY!