Downy Woodpecker in reeds

I don't have a heck of a lot to blog about at the moment so I'll post some of the pics I took during the owl prowl. The weather was terrible so there aren't too many decent ones but I'll post the ones I have.


Lynne said...

My 15 year old daughter did a biology experiment last fall about goldenrod and the percentage of plants that had galls. Julie Zickefoose told me that the little larvae inside the galls are a big favorite winter treat for Downy Woodpeckers! It looks like that's what yours is snacking on.

Gallicissa said...

I don't remember seeing any of our Woodpeckers in reeds, which makes this pic a bit unusual one for me.

DSLRed? or digi-scoped?

Owlman said...

Hey Lynne,

Thanks for the info VERY interesting! This is the first time that I've seen Downy on Goldenrod and I found it most unusual.

Howdi Gallicissa,

How about SA in the cricket? Looks like we're finally getting the better of the Ozzies on home turf! The pic was shot with a DSLR but I added a vignette effect to the pic to isolate the Woodpecker - great eye on your part.

Thanks for popping in!

noflickster said...

Great shot! I hope Santa treated you well with camera equipment you were coveting. I recently stood about six feet away from a Downy Woodpecker going nuts on a goldenrod gall but never was able to see what reward he received. Of course, my camera was in the car.

BTW, I've tagged you for the "six random things" meme, I suspect those words are either the most welcome or most dreaded for any blogger. maybe welcome since you admitted you have little to blog about?

Apologies if you've done this already and I missed it!

Gallicissa said...

Yes, those were absolutely fantastic victories, Owlman.
I can quite well understand your joy.

Owlman said...

Mike for some reason I missed your comment - my apologies. Guess I'm too late for the meme. As for the wish list it remains that. I would still love to revamp my camera setup, but it remains low on the family needs list ;-) Maybe I'll strike it rich someday and get the big boy toys ;-)

Thanks for popping in and for the comment!