1/31/2009

Exhibitionist birds of New England

My Bloggerhead Kingbird team members have done an excellent job at recounting the weekend, especially the birding done on Saturday during the superbowl. Honestly, the day was a blur of stops and birds that pretty blend in my mind. Rather than trying to recount all the stops and species, I'll refer you to the rest of the dream team:
Christopher at The Picusblog
Patrick at the Hawk Owl's Nest
Corey at 10,000 Birds
N8 at The Drinking Bird
During the trip I kept bumping into birds that were just begging me to snap their pics. Many of these birds are tough to see in NJ and when you see them they are way off in the distance. Here are a few of my more decent pics that I snapped. Sadly some of the birds were a little too quick or my photographic skills didn't do them justice.
Common Loon

Common Loon

Common Eider

White winged Crossbill

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Common Loons are everywhere here in the summer but we never see them in non-breeding plumage.

These are terrific pix.

Richard said...

Great Crossbill picture. That's one on my "To Find" list.

mon@rch said...

Stunning photos but the crossbill! A+ + + +

BLRem said...

Love the photos!

Owlman said...

Hi Lynne, they sure are pretty in their breeding plumage. Thanks for the compliment, it was one of the easier photos to take.

Hey Richard, the Crossbills were incredible to see. The way they tore into those cones - VERY impressive.

Mon@rch, an A++++ from you is HIGH praise indeed - thanks a lot.

Thanks Barbara, much appreciated.

Sorry about the tardy response. I've been busy posting and not keeping up with comments. Thanks for the kind words, glad you like the pics. I was lucky to see some incredible birds!