2/24/2009

It's not easy being an overachiever!

Hopefully everyone participated in the Great Backyard Bird Count and received a certificate to proof it. Aptly this year's certificate has a Great Horned Owl on it so I decided to proudly display mine on the site. Here are the results to date for the Great Backyard Bird Count - 2009. I spent the first day counting at my home feeders and I was lucky enough to see Red winged black birds that have been back several times since. I also had a throng of Pine Siskins (along with the rest of NJ). On Sunday I had a quick fly over from a small flock of White winged Crossbills and I also saw a solitary Yellow rumped warbler. I'm in the process of scouting out locations close to home and I spent some time looking for owls, but struck out. On the positive side I did find some pellets which is encouraging.
How was your count - anything exciting?


2 comments:

BLRem said...

You saw a Yellow-Rumped Warbler already?! OMG I am green with envy.....or should that be "yellow" with envy.... :D

Well, that means they should be up my way soon...however reading this as we just got pounded with 13 more inches of snow is not encouraging!
-Barbara

Owlman said...

Barbara, the Yellow rumps are tough to find in winter and you normally hear them before you see them. We were hit with a 6 incher over here which is the biggest 'storm' we've had this winter. We've had consistent snow but just a few inches at a time. I'm ready for Spring!!