2/26/2009

The owl baiting debate - heats up!

The owl baiting debate is heating up and I would love to hear your thoughts on the topic. Please make sure to pop in and vote on the poll.

"Owl baiting is the practice of releasing tame rodents such as white mice for wild owls to catch. The practice is generally used by professional photographers to raise their odds of capturing the kill shot up close and personal, especially for rare northern owls such as Snowy, Great Gray and Northern Hawk Owl. Although owl baiting is most common amongst the professional photographer community, members of the public have also got in on the act".
For more on the topic including weblinks to discussions on the topic - click here.
To see what other have said about owl baiting and to share your thoughts - click here.

2 comments:

BirdBoy said...

I feel it is not bad to bait owls and raptors. Many people have tons of bird feed outside their house during the winter time. These birds love the food, and eat it all winter long. But once spring and summer comes, they naturally go back to eating berries, and seeds. this is the same for owls and raptors. I have seen someone bait a kestrel while in Pennsylvania. Thirty minutes later i saw the same kestrel eating a mouse it caught. As long as the baiter keeps his mice clean it should be ok for the owl and raptors to eat. This is just my opinion.

Montanagirl said...

I just discovered your blog and really like it. Owls are one of my passions as far as trying to get good photos. I have never baited them, however. I guess I didn't realize anyone did that. So far, I've just been in the right place at the right time, and very lucky. I'm strictly an amateur photographer, but have gotten some pretty good photos. I've been watching birds since about 2004 when my husband and I moved back to Montana from Alaska. If you would be at all interested in seeing some of my better "Owl" photos, I would post some of them on my blog in the next couple days. Thanks for having such a great and informative blog to visit.