2/10/2009

Pine Siskin Invasion

I’ve been blessed with several irruptive species in my garden this year. I’ve posted several pictures of the White winged crossbills that have taken precedence over the Pine Siskins and Purple Finches. Unlike last year, this year has been pretty poor for Purple finches and I only had a few around at the beginning of the winter. The Pine Siskins seemed to be following the same pattern and for most of the winter I’ve only had two at the feeders. With reports coming in of Common redpoll in New Jersey, I headed out to buy a thistle tube feeder to supplement my thistle sock. I was quickly rewarded with many American Goldfinches with two Pine Siskins mixed into the flock.

Well this morning I looked out at the feeders and saw a mass of finches. The balance had swung and there were actually more Siskins than Goldfinches. To date I haven’t seen a Redpoll but I am still hopeful that they’ll swing by even if it’s just for a day or two.






Breaks on!

Dropping in for a bite

Is that eye liner?

9 comments:

Patrick Belardo said...

I need a new yard.........

Owlman said...

Patrick, if you use N8's extreme yarding approach http://thedrinkingbird.blogspot.com/2009/02/extreme-yard-listing.html you'll have a pretty hefty yard list in no time ;-)

MaineBirder said...

Great series of pictures!

Cedar Waxwings come here in huge flocks with some Bohemian Waxwings mixed in. They cleared the fruit on one of our crabapple trees in less than a half hour.

Bird Girl said...

While I'm happy the siskins came for a visit the past two years here at my Pennsylvania feeder...they are quickly becoming the new starlings! They are here in flocks and I rarely see my regular songbirds. I'll be happy when and if they do back to their normal 'siskin' winter routine! Never thought I would say that - but I just did ;-)
Aren't they fun to photograph flying (when you can catch'em ;-)
I enjoyed your pictures!
Now...cedar waxwings? I can't imagine getting tired of them ;-)

Susan Gets Native said...

Wow!
I had ONE, count 'em, ONE siskin this year.

mon@rch said...

When those siskins show up . . . boy do they come in numbers! Great photos!

RuthieJ said...

Lucky you Owlman! The "action" shots are great.

Jochen said...

But still no Hawk Owl?

LauraJ said...

Lovely pictures! I started getting redpolls about four days ago. Since you want them too, I hope there are lots to share.

I love them. And the siskins.